This Cricket is filled with great escapes—some dangerous, some just fun. Percy Plumb escapes his boring life in the library when his daydream of being a cowboy comes true. Yup! Felipe’s family in “The Inside Name” escapes from the Inquisition in Portugal to practice their religion in freedom. And April Rose helps her family’s sheep escape a terrible storm. Even Old Cricket imagines escaping danger as an astronaut, or test pilot, or arctic explorer. So for this month’s contest, everybuggy wants to read your best story about a great escape.
Maybe you will write about a time in history when people risked their lives to escape from injustice and persecution. Or perhaps you will imagine escaping a natural disaster, such as a locust plague, or volcano, or earthquake. Maybe you will write a futuristic tale about escaping from a planet of evil robots, or a medieval story about confronting a legendary dragon, or a fun story about escaping a boring day at school.
Whether your hero escapes an evil wizard, a mythological Cylops or Gorgon, or just from a long afternoon babysitting a little brother, everybuggy will be gathered around the Cricket Country mailbox, waiting to be whisked away to adventure, like the mice in Murik’s magic sack, by your best story—of 350 words or less, please—about a great escape. Yup!
1. Your contest entry must be your very own original work. Ideas and words should not be copied.
2. Your entry must be signed by your parent or guardian, stating that it is your own work, that no help was given, and that Cricket has permission to publish it in the magazine and on our website.
3. Be sure to include your name, age, and full address on your entry.
4. Only one entry per person, please.
5. If you want your work returned, enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for each entry.
6. Your entry must be received by April 25, 2017.
7. Send entries to Cricket League, P.O. Box 300, Peru, IL 61354. (No faxes or email submissions, please!)
8. We will publish winning entries in the September 2017 issue and on the Cricket website.