- January 2017
- November/December 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- July/August 2016
- May/June 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
Poetry Contest: Open Theme
After reading this month’s Cricket, everybuggy had lots of ideas for a poetry contest—but all their ideas were different!
Ladybug wanted to write a poem about cats, especially her favorite pet kitty. Marty was feeling inspired to write an ode to a historical figure she admired, like Madam C. J. Walker. Tater suggested a scientific poem about the behavior of a cool animal, like the “Blue Dragon.” Pudding longed to compose a minstrel song about Aino’s life in the sea as a beautiful mermaid. Cricket was hard at work on dragons and wizards. And Sluggo thought everybuggy should write about—baseball! (Because, he said, there was nothing about baseball in the issue.)
Muffin suggested that the only fair thing to do was for everybuggy to choose whatever topic they most liked for their poetry. (She was secretly planning a poem about friendship for Ladybug’s valentine.) So for this month’s contest, everybuggy would like to see your best poem about—whatever you want to write about!
Whether you write about the elemental power of the sea, a courageous hero, or your violin bow, everybuggy will be gathered around the Cricket Country mailbox, opening stacks of valentines as they wait to enjoy your favorite poem—just 24 lines or less, please—on any topic that inspires you.
1. Your contest entry must be your very own original work. Ideas and words should not be copied.
2. Your entry must be signed by your parent or guardian, stating that it is your own work, that no help was given, and that Cricket has permission to publish it in the magazine and on our website.
3. Be sure to include your name, age, and full address on your entry.
4. Only one entry per person, please.
5. If you want your work returned, enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for each entry.
6. Your entry must be received by February 25, 2017.
7. Send entries to Cricket League, P.O. Box 300, Peru, IL 61354. (No faxes or email submissions, please!)
8. We will publish winning entries in the May/June 2017 issue and on the Cricket website.