- May/June 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- November/December 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July/August 2015
- May/June 2015
Story Contest: Quest
Brave Sir Cricket doth go on a quest to rescue a fair(ish) maiden from her dread captor, a dragon that’s really ugly (and smelly). In “The Red String,” Lok uses magic on his quest to free his beloved Jing-jing from her jade tower. Everest is on a quest to one day climb Mount Everest--if only his mother will let him! Chura and Marwe undergo many tests and trials in their quest to win their places in the world and find each other. So guess what? For this month’s contest, Sir Cricket wanted to read your stories about a staunch hero or heroine overcoming obstacles on a noble quest.
Will your story be a fantasy about a magical far-off time and place? Or will you write about a kid trying to accomplish something important today? How will your hero or heroine be tested? Will he or she face a foe as fearsome and dreadful as Ugly Dragon? Will your quest be to rescue someone in trouble or to fulfill a personal dream? Maybe your quest will be funny--like trying to pet-sit an aging tiger. Or will it be a tall-tale porch lie filled with fools and tricksters?
Whatever you choose, brave Sir Cricket will soon be leading his staunch band of buggies on a quest to rescue your best quest story--of 350 words or less, please--from the Ugly Dragon who keeps them captive in the cavernous Cricket Country mailbox. Forsooth!
- Your contest entry must be your very own original work. Ideas and words should not be copied.
- If you're 14 years old or younger, your entry must be signed by your parent or guardian, saying it is your own original work, that no help was given, and granting Cricket permission to publish prizewinning entries in the May/June 2012 issue or on our Web site. If you're older than 14, you must sign your own work, verifying that it is original.
- Be sure to include your name, age, and full address on your entry.
- Only one entry per person, please.
- If you want your work returned, enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for each entry.
- Incomplete entries cannot be considered. Your entry will be incomplete if you forget to include your age or a signature verifying that your work is original.
- Your entry must be received by February 25, 2012.
- Send entries to:
P.O. Box 300
Peru, IL 61354