- February 2013
- January 2013
- Nov/Dec 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- July/August 2012
- May/June 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
Story Contest: Sports
In “The Bandit Runner,” Bobbi Gibbs runs the Boston Marathon for the first time--and changes the perception of women athletes forever. Even Sluggo shatters expectations when he wins the Cricket Country .0005 K run. All around the world, people are mad about sports. They love the teamwork and fun, as well as the opportunity to test their limits and prove what they can do. So for this month’s contest, Sluggo is all in a sweat to read your best sports story.
Will your write about soccer, basketball, hockey, or a less common sport, such as skate boarding? Will your hero be new at the sport, an underdog unsure of his or her abilities? Or will you write about a star player who hogs the limelight? Maybe your hero overcomes the odds by perfecting a difficult new skill, or becomes a winner by changing the team’s attitude. You might even write a fantasy about an imagined competition. (Quidditch, anyone?)
Whatever you choose, Sluggo has already started racing toward the Cricket Country mailbox (it will take him a long, long time to get there) to be the first to enjoy your best sports story of 350 words or less. Play ball!
- Your contest entry must be your very own original work. Ideas and words should not be copied.
- If you're 14 years old or younger, your entry must be signed by your parent or guardian, saying it is your own original work, that no help was given, and granting Cricket permission to publish prizewinning entries in the October 2012 issue or on our Web site. If you're older than 14, you must sign your own work, verifying that it is original.
- Be sure to include your name, age, and full address on your entry.
- Only one entry per person, please.
- If you want your work returned, enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for each entry.
- Incomplete entries cannot be considered. Your entry will be incomplete if you forget to include your age or a signature verifying that your work is original.
- Your entry must be received by May 25, 2012.
- Send entries to:
P.O. Box 300
Peru, IL 61354